My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Garden Update

My garden is my sanctuary.  I love it there.  It is quiet.  It is peaceful. It is beautiful to watch.  I look at it in awe every year as a seed that I planted turns into a plant, produces flowers and then fruit.  It's amazing.  I think that if I ever lose the magic in seeing a plant burst through the ground I will hang up my garden hoe and find a new hobby.

Some one asked me yesterday what I had planted and I was amazed when I wrote it all down.  I have Tomatoes, Okra, Purple hull peas, Green Beans, Squash, Zucchini, and Pattypan Squash, Cucumbers, Lipstick Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Watermelon, Cantelope, Eggplant, Sweet Potatoes, Red Potatoes, Lettuce,  Cilantro, mint, parsley, pineapple sage, basil, lavendar, chives, leeks
In fruits in have figs, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries (well, those that the chickens didn't eat), apples, peaches, plums, and pears.

If everything grows well we will have a lot of food in the pantry this fall!  If I can ever afford a fence in the back yard I will buy a cow and I wouldn't have to go to the grocery store at all.  Wouldn't that be great?!

My newest project is honey bees.  I spent about an hour working on the brood boxes today.  Our bees come in May 22.  I can't wait!  We won't have any honey this year but we will next year.  I will keep you updated on the progress.

2 comments:

  1. This is Anne's sister (Dee). I just wanted you to know that I enjoy reading your blog and the great information ans sometimes inspiration that you provide.

    Hope your garden is a hugh success and if you ever have extra to sell - tell Anne to email us and let us know. I'm sure we can help you out by purchasing. Good Luck - I know it was a lot of hard work and some frustration (with the flooding rains we've had!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dee. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I have blogging to be a great outlet for me.

    I will definetely let Anne know if I have extra produce. I have actually had people sign up on a list of people that have first choice once produce is in. So basically it will be a farmer's market at home.

    ReplyDelete