My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Summer Garden


When the warmth of Spring begins, I long for time in the garden.  I plot and plan. I scour the seed catalogs that have filled my mailbox for weeks.  I dream of what I will can and dehydrate as my lush Summer Garden provides all of the food we will need for the winter.  And then, it RAINS.

When I say rain, I don't mean a nice spring shower.  No, I mean it rains 3 inches and just about the time I think it's safe to walk outside without boots, it rains another 3 inches.  It teases me like this for weeks. Finally, I come to the conclusion that it's never going to dry out.  The sun will never shine long enough to put a garden in.  I guess we will have to rely on store-bought food. :(

Just as all hope seems to be gone....the sun shines! And the days heat up! Before I know it, the plants are in the ground and I'm fighting 100 degree temps with 110 heat indexes!  What happened to SPRING??  I'm even wishing for a little rain to give my sprinkler system a break.

The lush garden from my dreams looks like a dry, parched wasteland.  The tomato plants droop and the squash bugs are feasting on the squash buffet I have provided them.  The only thing that seems to thrive are the weeds.

I managed to collect enough green beans for a meal or two.  There will be no beautiful quart jars full of green beans awaiting us this winter.  The zucchini that I stole from the squash bugs was rationed between the four of us.

The tomatoes? Oh, the tomatoes.  I had a lovely tomato sandwich courtesy of my husband's co-worker.  Maybe the most delicious I have ever eaten.  You are wondering about my tomatoes?  Well, so am I. There were a few that survived the desert conditions but not many.  There will be no fresh-tasting salsa, no tomato soup.  There will be no pasta sauce (although my basil THRIVED!)  and no canned tomatoes.

Today, I have tilled under the last of my summer disappointment and I begin dreaming once again.  This time, dreaming of greens and broccoli, spinach and kale. I pray the heat weakens and winter takes it's time arriving.  There is still hope......in the Fall Garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment