My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Friday, December 31, 2010

44% SAVINGS!

First, let me say Happy New Year to all of my friends and family!

I wrote a really long blog about the highs and lows of the past year but decided to delete it.  You  guys know all of them anyway.  So, I want to tell you about my savings for the past year since that is how this blog started.

Last January 1st I started a spreadsheet and faithfully posted every grocery transaction throughout the year.  I estimated that in previous years we spent an average of $400 per month on groceries.  My goal...spend less.  Did I reach it...YES!!

The total retail cost of our groceries this year was $4,239.46.  The ACTUAL amount out of pocket that we paid was $2,379.49.  That is a savings of $1,864.97 or 44%!  

I think that's great for my first year couponing! I will admit that I was sometimes obsessive and sometimes negligent in my couponing.  I came to realize that if I didn't have time to do coupons that I didn't have time!  Life was not going to end...and this was very freeing for me.

My goal in 2011 is to be more consistent but I still won't let it overwhelm me.  I would like to be at 50% savings by the end of 2011.

My other non-resolutions ( I don't really like resolutions) for 2011....
(1)Get healthy...and that means the whole family! We need to lose weight, exercise more, and eat healthy foods. 
(2) Garden, Garden, Garden!  I would like to garden year-round so all we have to do is pick our food before we eat it. (this will also help the grocery budget). 
(3)   Enjoy Life!  My boys are growing up so quickly.  I want to spend more time laughing, loving, and learning.  I don't want to look back and have regrets.
(4) And most important~ Remember God~ without Him none of the things listed above matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment