My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 1 + Bread Recipe

Today did not go as planned.  I had all of these grand plans to create menus, organize pantry, and cook some good, wholesome food.  NONE of that happened.  I woke up with a terrible sinus headache.  The kind where everything in your face hurts and when you sneeze you almost pass out.  Yeah, fun stuff!

So....my healthy food for the day:  Sweet tea for breakfast, no lunch, and Chick-fil-a for dinner on the way to church.  Great start to our new, healthier lifestyle!!  Well, sometimes life happens and you just have to do what you've got to do.  I was in such pain I really didn't care about eating at all, much less eating healthy!

The good news is I made it to church AND I am now feeling much better.  I still have a little pressure but nothing like earlier today.

I did need to make bread today and I didn't feel like messing with it so I decided to try a recipe I found online and throw everything in the bread maker.  This way we still have healthy bread without all of the preservatives and I didn't have to mix, knead, rise and bake.  It turned out really good so I thought I would pass along the recipe.

1/2 c. warm milk
1/2 c. warm water
1 egg
3 T. honey (if you need a local honey source shoot me an email)
2 T. butter, softened
1.5 t. salt
1.5 c. bread flour
1.5 c. wheat flour (I used Spelt)
2 t. yeast

Add ingredients as directed by your bread machine.  Cook on NORMAL cycle (not wheat).

I don't have the directions for doing this recipe by hand (or mixer, that is) but this is how I would do it:  Mix bread flour and yeast.  Add water and milk.  Mix and cover.  Let dough sponge for 10 minutes.  Add remaining wet ingredients then quickly add remaining flour.  Knead 5-6 minutes. Cover bowl and let the bread rise until double.  Punch down and form dough into a loaf.  Place dough in greased pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment