My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Grocery Saving Part 2

We are trying to answer the question, "Can you still save money on groceries?".  The answer is YES!

I went to Kroger this week with a very short list of things to get.  I'm usually not  a list maker but I have learned that making a grocery list helps reduce excess spending and when I get home I'm not kicking myself because of what I forgot to buy.  So, make a list of the things you need.

Next, learn which day your local grocer has the most marked down items.  I know that there are two days when my local Kroger has big markdowns.  I have narrowed down the best time to get there so they have had an opportunity to mark the sale items but it's not so late that they have been too picked over.  So, I breeze through the fruits and veggies and quickly pick out what I need.  I then head to where they mark down the cheeses, then the meats, and on to the canned goods.

The picture shows just a few things that I got marked down.  Overall, I saved over 40% off of my grocery bill by buying markdowns.  Be sure to only buy things that you normally eat buy anyway.  Don't buy something just because it's marked down.  Also, be sure to check expiration dates.  If it's coming up soon, is it something you can take home and freeze until you are ready to use it?

Once you are used to looking, you may be surprised at what you can find marked down!

No comments:

Post a Comment