My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Processing Tomatoes ~ Option 2

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get this post up.  I've been canning tomatoes!  I've also been working in the garden.  The garden was so happy to see the rain last week but the weeds were too!!  I couldn't believe how they took over in just a few days time!

In the last blog I showed you the traditional way of peeling tomatoes.  You know....the boil, dump in ice water, then peel and core.  Well, here is the EASY way to do it!

Core the tomatoes

Throw them in a food processor...skin and all
Process!


Then I cook it down just like in the previous post.

Once your tomatoes are at the consistency that you want them, it's time to can or freeze them.


To can them you will need a large pot, jars, 
and these handy gadgets if possible.
Funnel, jar lifter, lid magnet


I begin by filling my canning pot about 2/3 of the way full.  Turn the stove on high and let the water begin heating.  This will take a while because of the volume of water you are working with.  While the water is heating I wash my jars and lids then place them in the pot of water.  This way they heat up with the water.

In the meantime, make sure your tomato sauce is hot.  REMEMBER...always add HOT liquid to HOT jars. If you don't you could have a mess!

Use your funnel to keep the top of the jar clean. Add 1 T. lemon juice to each pint jar and 2 T. to each quart of tomatoes.  Fill the jar with tomato sauce leaving 1/2" headspace at the top.  Wipe the rim of the jar with a damp cloth.  Place lid on jar until just tight.  Do not overdo it!  Put you jar back in the water bath.  Repeat until you have enough jars to fill the pot.  Cover and boil for 35 minutes.  Once they are finished, remove from the water and place on a towel.  You will hear the pop of the tops as they begin to seal.  Let the jars rest for 24 hours and then store.  You may also want to write the contents and date on the lid.



Now, if you have read this far in my blog, I think you deserve a prize!  Please go check this out.  Let me know which video is your favorite and you will be entered to win a coupon for FREE Purex!  I'll let you know my favorite in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment