My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Real Food

I love to cook.  I also love to look at food and recipes that are posted on FB and Pinterest.  Recently, someone suggested that I like a page on FB because they post great recipes all throughout the day.  I spent a  minute of two looking at the page and loved the wonderful  foods that they had posted.  I "liked" the page thinking I would be able to get some great ideas from them.

I have viewed posts from this page for 2 days now.  Granted, the pictures of beautiful food get my attention every time but the recipes!  The recipes have made me wonder how many people really cook anymore.  I don't know about you, but I don't use a "baking mix" when I want to make homemade muffins.  I have my own "baking mix".  It's called flour!  I can easily add the baking powder, baking soda, salt or whatever I need without paying extra for someone to mix it for me.  If I want to use premixed ingredients, why not just get a muffin mix from the store and add water OR, better yet, just buy muffins at the store and save the hassle.

It's not just baking that we have taken the easy route on.  Take a look as you pass the meat counter in your local grocery store.  Have we come to the place where we can no longer season our own steaks or burgers?   You can pay a little extra and your steak and burgers are pre-seasoned and ready to cook.  I saw a new commercial this week that shows butter with olive oil and spices mixed in.  There's no reason to season your food, just melt this chunk of goo in your pan and add food.  Should I even discuss the fruits and vegetables that come pre-chopped just for you?  How long does it take to slice celery or apples?

I have an idea.  Why don't we go back to cooking real food from real ingredients.  Lets take out the fillers and the stuff we can't pronounce.  Take away the preservatives because we don't need them if we are cooking the food ourselves.  I wonder what that would do to the cancer rate?  I wonder how much better we would feel?  It is something to think about.

Now, if you would excuse me, I've got to check on my bread that is rising...

No comments:

Post a Comment