My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Lunch

This year we are having Easter Lunch - on a budget.  In years past we always went out to eat on Easter.  This year I decided to cook.

Our main dish will be ham that I purchased from Kroger for $.77/lb.  Our sides will be:  Mashed Cauliflower ($1.50/head), Creamed Leeks ($2.32 - I had purchased these earlier for a new recipe and I'm using what I had left), Green Beans (free from last year's garden) and home made buttery dinner rolls.  For dessert we are having Angel Food Cake ($2.00) and fresh Strawberries ($1.50).

As a side note, this is the first time I have tried Creamed Leeks.  It is incredible!!  It's too rich to eat often but WOW!  I also love the Mashed Cauliflower. I will post the recipe to both at the bottom of this post.

Back to the subject at hand - Our Easter Lunch should cost us no more than $15 to feed a family of 4.  We will also have lots of leftovers! 



Mashed Cauliflower - You will find various recipes online but this is the one I made up myself and we like it.
1 Head Cauliflower - cut into pcs
2 C. Chicken Broth
1/4 C. Heavy Cream (you can use milk or half & half)
Salt and Pepper

Place cauliflower and chicken broth into dutch oven.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a high simmer.  Cook until tender.  Strain the liquid into a bowl (keep).  Place cauliflower in blender with enough of the cooking liquid to cover about 1/2 way.  Add cream, salt and pepper.  Blend until it's the consistency of mashed potatoes.

Creamed Leeks
4 Large Leeks (whites only)
2 T. Butter
1 C. Chicken Broth
1 C. Heavy Cream
1/2 t. Salt
1/4 t. Pepper
Dash Cayenne

Slice leeks into rounds and wash well.  Saute leeks in butter until wilted.  Add chicken broth and boil liquid down by half.  Add cream and remaining ingredients.  Cook until thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment