My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Updates and Recipes

It has been a little while since I have written so I will give you a brief update. 

I have put many hours of work into preparing the garden this year.  I finally got everything planted and decided to use this black erosion control plastic stuff in between the rows to try to cut down on weeds since I have 3 gardens going.  I hammered all of the posts in the ground and ran wire for my green beans last week.  Everything was looking great and starting to grow and then....the storms hit!  I watched all of my hard work blow around and tangle on posts, break tomato plants, and tie in knots.  I have been able to clean up a little bit but there are parts of the garden that is like quick sand to step in.  I guess it will dry out in time for rain again this weekend.

I spent the weekend making jelly out of the strawberries we bought from a local farm.  I ended up with 40 jars when I was all finished.  I used the rest of the strawberries today in Strawberries and Cream Bread.  Here is the recipe:

Strawberries and Cream Bread
 1  3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, room temp (or straight from the chicken!  I sent the boys to the yard)
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 t. vanilla
1  1/4 c. strawberries, chopped

Combine first 5 ingredients and set aside.  In mixer, cream butter.  Gradually add sugar.  Beat until light then add brown sugar.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Add sour cream and vanilla.  Add flour until just moistened.  Fold in strawberries.  Pour into greased 8 x 4.5 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Let stand in pan for about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment