My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Coupon Organizing

Monday is a great day to get your coupons organized. Hopefully you have new coupons from Sunday's paper and you are ready to go.

There are several ways to organize your coupons. I took a look at some friend's coupons this week and learned that each of us organize differently. Here are some ideas:
  • My coupon box is alphabetized according to headings. For example, mine some of my headings are beverages, breakfast items, cleaning, freezer, etc.
  • One friend has her box organized by the layout of the store. So if you went to my Kroger, you would have veggies, bread, cereal, soup, etc. You really have to know your store to use this method but it would really save time in the long run.
  • My other friend has hers completely alphabetized. So if you are looking for Tostitos you would look in the T's. If you were looking for Apple Jacks you would look in the A's.

There are no right or wrong ways to organize. Do what is easiest for you!

Now for coupon storage, I use a photo storage box. Every week I go through the Kroger and Walgreens ads and circle the items that we need. I pull coupons from my box for those items and place them in a small zipper bag along with the ad. When I get to the store I am ready! I always bring along my coupon box just in case there are unadvertised specials...which happens more often than not.

I try not to get caught up in buying something just because it's a good deal. If we don't need it or won't eat it there is no point in me buying it. If someone else can use it or if I can pass the coupons on to someone that can use it, I am happy to do that. Like this week I got 6 loaves of whole wheat bread for free. I shared with my Mom and Sister-in-Law so we all benefited. I also plan on making croutons and bread crumbs to put in the freezer. None will go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment