My Blog

My blog has morphed over the years into different things. It is a place to learn about saving money, product reviews, cooking, gardening, and homesteading. It can take you to whatever has my attention at the moment and then back to the day to day. I hope you will learn something here and come back often.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My deals + Cooking Adventures

I made my weekly trip to Kroger this morning.  They have their buy 10 items and get $5 off sale still going.  Here are some deals I got:
Hunt's tomatoes $.50 - $.45/3 coupon= $.30 each
Hormel Chili $.70 - $.55/2 coupon = $.25 each
Ritz Crackers $1.99 - $1/1 coupon = $.99 each
Quaker Granola Bars $1.99 - $1/2 coupon = $1.50 each
Honey Bunches of Oats (one of our fav's) $2.19 for family size.
Quilted Northern $5.99 - $1/1 = $4.99
The total for the day $30.17  SAVINGS $26.94

I'm headed to Walgreen's and CVS on the way to church tonight.  CVS has Hellmann's Mayo BOGO and I have lots of $.50/1 coupons.  If anyone needs a coupon let me know.  They expire 2/7 so better get them quick!

Walgreens has their Pepsi products and chip sale again.  If you spend $20 you get $10 back in register rewards.  I have a $10 RR to spend so I'm going to get 5/$15 Pepsi, 3/$6 chips for $8.45.  I will then get another $10 RR so I actually make $1.55 on this deal.

I am going to do a second transaction at Walgreens.  They have Nyquil on sale for $5.  If you buy $20 you get $10 RR.  I have 4 coupons for $2 off each one.  I will end up spending $2 for 4 bottles of Nyquil. 


Now, on to cooking adventures!  My weekly menu has been a little off because my 21 lb. turkey took a lot longer to thaw than I thought it would!  It finally thawed yesterday so I began preparing to bake.  I always use a browning bag to cook mine in and this turkey barely fit in the bag!  The next challenge was getting him into the roasting pan! We finally poked and prodded until he fit and into the oven he went.  He was beautiful when he came out!  We had turkey, green beans and glazed carrots for dinner.  (BTW, the glazed carrots were awesome!!  I will put the recipe at the bottom of the page.)  I froze one side of the breast and in a separate bag I froze about 3 cups of chopped meat.  I sent my husband a turkey sandwich for his lunch today and the boys and I had turkey salad sandwiches.  I still have about 4-5 cups of turkey in the fridge.  I am thinking of making turkey chili and saving the turkey soup for later. Anyway, we will get a lot of use out of this turkey!!

Sunday I decided to make the whole wheat waffles to put in the freezer.  I got the batter mixed up and the waffle iron heating and poured the first batch in.  I waited 5 minutes and opened it up and..... everything was stuck!!  The waffles split right down the middle and half stuck to the top and half stuck to the bottom and no matter what I did it would NOT come off!  I ended up throwing away the whole waffle iron (which was pretty old anyway!) and I made pancakes instead.  I froze the pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet and then transferred them to a zip top bag.  I had one for breakfast this morning with a fried egg on top.  Delicious!

Glazed Carrots

1-2 lbs. carrots, sliced
1 T. honey
1/2 t. salt
2 T. butter

Barely cover carrots with water in a saucepan.  Add salt and honey.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer.  Simmer until carrots are tender.  Once tender, raise heat and cook out water.  Watch carefully so they don't burn.  when the water is cooked out, add butter and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment